I am in no way a dietitian, health expert, or nutritionist. All I possess is experience. I’d call myself fit and healthy, and have learned a thing or two about not going overboard during the holidays (not that I always listen to my own advice…). Here are my top 5 ways of staying healthy while drinking during the holidays, and yes, these are in order!
- DO NOT DRINK ON AN EMPTY STOMACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I am yelling this! If you do nothing else on this list, please do this one! I have learned way too many times that drinking on an empty stomach can only lead to bad decisions (eating-wise…get your mind out of the gutter!). No matter how much water or food you consume later, drinking on an empty stomach allows wine to make a bee-line to your head and all judgement is thrown away in the trash. I can recall a few moments where I consume everything in sight because I am way to buzzed for how little I have eaten prior. Whatever happens, always eat something before you do any kind of drinking, whether it is at your home before the event or at the event itself.
- Exercise before your event. If you can, try to exercise in the morning. When you exercise in the mornings, you are more likely to make healthy decisions throughout the day. However, any exercise before your holiday event is helpful, even if only for a walk!
- Peruse the food at the event before you eat. Look around to see what’s available. Then, load up on the healthier items first. When you go back for seconds (because we all do!), then allow yourself a couple of the treats that you were eyeing. However, if you have the healthier items first, you will notice that you are not craving the not-as-healthy items as badly as you were before. If you can, try to eat your first helping before you get your first cocktail.
- Drink water in between each cocktail. The hangover won’t feel as bad!
- Wear something that makes you feel skinny (or a tight belt!). You’d be surprised how much this helps! Do you really want to eat that fried ball of fat when you feel ever so svelte and sexy in your outfit?